Best Actress Curse?
This has only fueled speculation about a 'Curse of the Best Actress Oscar' that is gaining steam. Since2000, seven former winners have seen the break-up of their marriages and/or long-term relationships. The theory was first advanced by writer Kate Torgovnick of The Frisky.2
Among those affected are:
- Hilary Swank who won in 2000 and 2005, then divorced Chad Lowe shortly after her second triumph.
- Julia Roberts won in 2001 and left long-time boyfriend Benjamin Bratt
- Halle Berry won in 2002 and divorced Eric Benet a year later
- Charlize Theron won in 2004 and recently broke-up with longtime boyfriend Stuart Townsend
- Reese Witherspoon won in 2006 and divorced Ryan Philippe eight months later
- Just days prior to Bullock leaving James, former winner Kate Winslet from 2007 decided to separatefrom husband Sam Mendes