Yesterday we had a good time playing with Newsvine. What did we learn?
- Newsvine’s interface is really complicated–it takes a good hour or two of playing to figure it out.
- It takes 3-5 votes to get a story to land on a category page.
- It takes 5-10 votes to get on the TOS page (TOS = top of service for those of you who don’t work for a major portal 🙂
- You don’t add friends on Newsvine, you “watch” people. Not sure I like that term–feels like being a stalker.
- The fact that they have a license to the AP is really cool because they can run really nice, big photos–DIGG/Delicious ain’t got no photos
- The Conversation Tracker (image one, right) is a neat feature that allows you to quickly popup an AJAX box that shows you activity on stories you’ve submitted (i.e. if someone comments or votes on your story).
- The Read Article button is a good innovation since most folks on DIGG don’t know when they click on a headline or comment link if they are leaving the site or not. On Newsvine you’re not leaving the site *unless* you hit that button.
- Featured Writers is a good box because it rewards folks for being active, and let’s face it people are driven by two things in this space: recognition and affiliation (their ain’t no compensation).
- Newsvine has a really bizarre MLM (multi-level marketing) scheme where they will split revenue with you for your articles and your friends articles. It’s really complicated and it will never work. They will drop it I’m sure.
- Overall I give the site a B. They’ve added some nice features to the socail bookmarking space, and if they can clean up the site a little bit they will have a real winner on their hands.
Questions to folks in yesterday’s Newsvine UFG (Unauthorized Focus Group):
- How long do you think it will take an average user to understand what is going on at the site?
- What do you think are the best 2-3 features of the site?
- How would you compare the Newsvine experience to DIGG, Delicious, and/or Ma.gnolia.com?
- What would you change about the site?
- What are the worst features/biggest issues with the site?
OK, today’s UFG is Ma.gnolia.com. My user account is: